VEGGIE PANINI + HOMEMADE SPREAD
PREP TIME : 5 minutes COOK TIME : 10 minutes TOTAL TIME: About 25 minutes SERVES: 1
Recipe By: Brittney Grant
TIP: Each ingredient amount may be altered in quantity of substituted with other vegetables.
2 slice Sourdough Bread
2 slice Fresh Tomato
Fresh Red Pepper
2 slice Eggplant
2 slice Zucchini
2 slice Mozzarella Cheese
OLIVE OIL / HERB SPREAD
In a small dipping bowl add 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil, a pinch of dry oregano, dried basil, thyme and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Mix the ingredients together, spread on each half of bread and set aside.
- Heat a grill pan or panini press to a medium-heat and coat with cooking spray.
- Spread 1 side of both slices of sourdough bread with homemade herb spread and set aside.
- Place eggplant, red pepper slices, zucchini, and onions in heated grill pan and cook each until lightly marked with grill lines or until tender, usually 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Once vegetables have cooked, allow to cool.TIP: Allowing the vegetables to cool prevents the bread from becoming moist, ensuring a firm hold during the grilling process.
- Arrange the vegetables along with sliced tomato onto one side of the bread. Add mozzarella cheese directly on top, and finally add second bread slice.
- Grill sandwich over medium heat until marked with grill lines and the cheese has completely melted, usually 3 to 5 minutes. If your using a grill pan, grill sandwich on each side until nicely marked by the grill. This dish is best served Hot!
TIP: If your using a grill pan, line with aluminum foil to prevent sticking and/or add a foil-wrapped brick sandwich to help compress it.
* To all my vegans/vegetarians, this recipe works just as great with vegan cheese or no cheese at all.
FACEBOOK.COM/ BRITTNEY GRANT