There is a lot to celebrate in the month of October! The month itself is symbolic for many important national causes and observations including:
- Adopt a Shelter Dog Month
- Awareness Month
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Domestic Violence Awareness Month
- Lupus Awareness Month
- National Diabetes Month
- National Vegetarian Month
Here are a few other daily celebrations and special days to celebrate this October 2016:
- World Vegetarian Day – go meatless for the day!
- World Card Making Day – send someone you love a card.
- National Homemade Cookies Day
- Oktoberfest – Eat, drink, and be merry!
- National Custodial Worker Day
- National Boyfriends Day – Tell him how loved he is.
- National Golf Day
- National Frappe Day – Try the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte.
- Do Something Nice Day – Offer you seat to
- National Kale Day – Add kale to your favorite smoothie recipe!
- World Teacher’s Day
- World Smile Day – “A warm smile is the universal language of kindness”.
- Fire Prevention Day
- Columbus Day – No school!
- Emergency Nurses Day
- National Fossil Day – Wednesday of Earth Sciences Week
- Old Farmer’s Day – Support local farmers by shopping at the Farmer’s Market.
- National Gumbo Day – Enjoy 100+ Gumbo Recipes on Pinterest.
- Take Your Teddy Bear to Work Day – Show and Tell!
- Friday the 13th
- International Skeptics Day – celebrate true facts and expose wrong ones by being skeptic and asking the right questions.
- National Dessert Day – have an extra helping, or two!
- World Egg Day – Try this recipe.
- Sweetest Day – express your appreciation and gratitude for someone special!
- Bosses Day – Show your boss some appreciation. (only if you feel they deserve it)
- National Dictionary Day -Celebrate by learning a little bit of dictionary history and about Noah Webster.
- National Pumpkin Cheesecake Day – find a recipe, too.
- Make a Difference Day – neighbors helping neighbors.
- National Nut Day – Indulge in a healthy and nutritious trail mix snack.
- Mother-In-Law Day – fourth Sunday in October
- National Mole Day – Celebrated annually on October 23 from 6:02 a.m. to 6:02 p.m., Mole Day commemorates Avogadro’s Number (6.02 x 1023), which is a basic measuring unit in chemistry.
- National Bologna Day – A meat lovers delight!
- United Nations Day – UN Day marks the anniversary of the entry into force in 1945 of the UN Charter.
- World Pasta Day – Have an Italian themed pasta dinner night!
- Navy Day – A day to honor all of the women and men who serve, or have served, in the United States Navy.
- Frankenstein Friday – last Friday in October
- Hermit Day
- National Frankenstein Day – Host a Frankenstein themed halloween party.
- National Candy Corn Day – Same some for the trick-or-treaters!
- Carve a Pumpkin Day – Greet trick-or-treaters with your best carved pumpkin creations.
- Halloween – Happy Halloween!
Normally mealtime is a simple daily experience most adults engage in everyday. But for some this can be a difficult challenge especially in social settings.
Picky eaters, fussy eaters or selective eaters are individuals who display a complete lack of interest in a wide variety of foods, individuals who displays an unwillingness to try new foods outside of the small selection of foods that they eat on a regular basis.
Having lived as a picky eater for more than half of my life, I will admit that it can be a struggle, especially in social gatherings when the food selection is usually very limited and highly unfavorable for a picky eater.
Unlike most people, I was not a picky eater all my life; ok so maybe there was an adequately small list of things I did not eat as a child but, it wasn’t until later in my life that I became extremely selective about the foods that I liked and didn’t liked. Although I don’t believe I am as picky or selective as the average picky eater, I still face many of the same struggles on a regular basis. Whether it’s the texture, flavor, the smell or specific food group, everything makes a difference in the food palette of picky eater.
CONFESSIONS OF A PICKY EATER
As an adult I’ve realized that my picky eating can be a problem at times…
- You’ve already made life long commitments to your favorite foods and plan to stay committed for a long time.
- People get offended when you don’t want to try their food.
- You get a mini panic attack when you go out to a new restaurant without reviewing the menu ahead of time.
- Deciding what to eat for lunch can be the hardest decision ever.
- Your constantly asked if you are a vegetarian or have food allergies because of your “strict food diet”.
- People think your think your crazy because you don’t eat pastries and desserts.
- People think it’s even more crazy that you don’t eat chocolate or ice cream because “what normal human being doesn’t “?
Contrary to popular belief, being a picky eater does have it’s perks…
- Being adamant reading food labels is actually a good thing!
- You never have to eat something you don’t like.
- Knowing exactly what’s in your food and/or where it comes from, lessens your risk of eating “processed foods” thus as it helps you to become a more conscious consumer.
- Your family taking time out to cook something they know only you would eat is seriously the sweetest thing ever!
- You get to skip out on your uncle’s not so tasty, butter pecan pie.
- Having your meals organized in separate dish-ware for each ingredient makes the perfect Instagram photos, presentation is key!
- You get to enjoy eating what you love on a regular basis.
- The waiters at your favorite restaurant always knows your order.
However, being a picky eater can also be a challenge, especially in social settings…
- Your friends judge you for ordering the exact same thing every time your out or will just avoid asking you out to dinner because your just “so darn picky“.
- When your at a family gathering and everyone lectures you about the foods you don’t eat, “your body needs everything“, “you don’t know what your missing“.
- Ordering food without most of the ingredients it is suppose to come with can really be a drag especially for the server taking your order (No sauce, No mayo, No pickles, No onions)
It is even more difficult being a picky eater while traveling…
- The ideal of eating unfamiliar foreign foods while traveling seriously scares me 😳.
- Having to decide between eating food that you absolutely hate or starve for the rest of your travel time.
- The rest stops never seem to have anything you eat.
Life as a picky eater can be a struggle, even embarrassing at times but I am taking minor to expand my food palate and try new foods.
Every product has a story! As a conscious consumer it is my goal to be actively aware of where my products come from as it directly affects the people making the clothes and products I use everyday. Therefore, every purchase I make has a major impact on the lives of the people making it and the conditions in which they live and work in.
Thus, when shopping for beauty products and clothing it is important to consider, the values you care about, whether it’s sustainability, ethics, natural+organic ingredients, locally sourced goods/ingredients/workers or community advancement, every value makes a difference. I personally strive to support brands that meet all or most of the values that are important to me collectively. Below is a list of some of my favorite ethical brands and their core values.
BASED IN | USA
VALUES | Sustainability, Natural+Organic Community Commerce, Cruelty-free
PRODUCT RANGE | Hair, Body, Baby, Cosmetics
PRICE RANGE | $3.99 – $29.99
Shea moisture is indeed a charismatic brand in my book. Their range of natural, organic, sustainably-produced products are perfect for all hair and skin types and made free of sulfates, parabens, gmo ingredients. Their consumer friendly packaging, affordable price points and personal family recipes makes this brand a personal favorite.
BASED IN | USA
VALUES | Radical Transparency + Ethics
PRODUCT RANGE | Apparel, Accessories, Shoes
PRICE RANGE | $15 – $ 365
If I had to choose one brand that described my personal style in one word, it would most certainly be Everlane. Everything about the brand including factory sourcing, quality of products, style and fit is a direct reflection of my lifestyle and taste in fashion. Everlane believes it is important for their customers to know what their products cost to make and where they were made, thus sharing the true costs of each item, the factory where it was made and the production stories behind each piece. Their minimal, modern aesthetic will remain timeless
BASED IN | USA
VALUES | Artisan Craft, Community Commerce, Sustainability, Upcylcled + Handcrafted
PRODUCT RANGE | Necklaces, Bracelets, Earrings, Rings
PRICE RANGE | $15 – $ 365
Soko is an innovation in global fashion and technology: A brand that connects consumers to global makers and handcrafted jewelry from the developing world. With Soko, you can discover incredible quality and creative ingenuity made in communities that lay outside of the digital economy. Brought to the global stage using our technology, Soko delivers you exceptional style with stunning handcrafted jewelry created by artisans in emerging African economies, using natural and upcycled materials.
BASED IN | AFRICA
VALUES | Community Commerce, Artisan Craft
PRODUCT RANGE | Sneakers (Male+Female)
PRICE RANGE | $$
Sawa is a fashion brand that has taken the challenge to fabricate shoes in Africa. Their streamline, bold printed sneakers feature traditional african printed fabrics and dyes in which are handmade by local factory workers. Bold colors, along with unexpected mixes of african materials makes them a personal favorite!
BASED IN | USA
VALUES | Sustainability, Natural+Organic Community Commerce, Cruelty-free
PRODUCT RANGE | Food, Beauty, Home, Pet
PRICE RANGE | $$
Thrive Market is a membership community that uses the power of direct buying to deliver the world’s best healthy foods and natural products to their members at wholesale prices, and in return sponsors free memberships for low-income American families.
SHEA BUTTER COTTAGE
BASED IN | United Kingdom
VALUES | Sustainability, Natural+Organic Community Commerce, Fair-Trade
PRODUCT RANGE | Fabric, Beauty, Hair, Jewelry
PRICE RANGE | $$
Shea Butter Cottage is a brand founded by ghanian native Akua Wood, in response to her frustration in trying to find a natural range of toiletries to moisturize her skin. The brand strives to produce the finest quality at all times and is dedicated to giving back to the ghanian natives by sourcing quality ingredients directly from farmers/producers and through community projects. Shea butter cottage is committed to ending poverty in Ghana by purchasing from farmers’ co-operatives and other like minded suppliers in addition to supporting fair trade by paying a fair price/donating to farmers’ co-operatives and other related suppliers. Shea Butter Cottage also donates a percentage from each sale as direct unconditional donation to help strengthen these co-ops and building projects in Ghana. The brand has also contributed to may other projects in Africa in including, stretching a helping hand to more than 150 entrepreneurs in 34 countries through Kiva since 2007, financing the build of a KVIP [toilet facility] in Guma – Ghana among many others.
I hope that this post will inspire you to shop and support more ethical brands based on the values most important to you!
Ben Stiller’s phobia of germs in the movie Along Came Polly is literally the epitome of my life as he describes how germs and“high risk” situations can negatively impact your health and cause illness. His “play it safe” approach to life much like myself, acts a protective barrier against harmful encounters and high health-risk factors but, it also means that we can miss out on the opportunity of living an eventful and fulfilled life.
Having struggled with sensitive skin most of my life, I always feel the need to be take precaution in everything that I do, whether it’s constantly washing hands, avoiding physical contact in public places, or rigorously cleaning my room everyday, I always feel to protect myself from the possibility of an incident with my skin. From allergic reactions to crazy cases of inflamed itchy red skin, anyone suffering from regular rashes and reactions knows, that when you have sensitive skin the struggle is real, especially when your a beauty blogger.
HERE ARE 17 STRUGGLES ONLY PEOPLE WITH SENSITIVE SKIN WOULD UNDERSTAND:
- Can’t try new skincare products without it being a huge risk.
- Bath and Body Works is your least favorite store in the world.
- Wearing clothes that weren’t washed in non-hypoallergenic detergent is literally the worst experience ever.
- Can’t wear cute trendy fashion jewelry because it will cause a major allergic skin reaction.
- Subjected to using only natural skin and makeup products that are usually more pricey.
- You most likely have allergies and/or eczema too.
- Reading the entire ingredient list of every food and beauty product you buy is a norm.
- The smell of perfume or cologne can literally make you sick, especially if sprayed directly onto the skin.
- Wearing anything wool is a definite NO.
- One of your goals in life is to find a cure for itching and irritation.
- Tingling of the skin is extremely terrifying and requires immediate action
- All-natural cleaning products are a MUST.
- You must have an anti-itch cream handy, one that you travel with everyday and one right at your bedside.
- Hearing people say “STOP ITCHING” makes you itch even more.
- You’ve tried almost every natural remedy out there and none of them seem to work.
- You treat everything and everyone like a germ; you do not like when people get too close.
- Everyone thinks your neurotic because of your such a clean-freak and have an extreme germ phobia.
- Puffy eyes are a normal part of your daily life.
Although it may get tough at times, I’ve learned to love and accept my skin the way it is.
It doesn’t matter how much you love your job or how good your time time off was, the transition from weekend mode into work mode can sometimes be a struggle.
Here’s a little kick to get you through the week!
15 MOTIVATIONAL QUOTES TO GET YOU THROUGH THIS MONDAY
“The more I want to get something done the less I call it work”. – Richard Bach
“An early morning walk is a blessing for the whole day.” – Henry David Thoreau
“Every Monday is another chance for a fresh start.”
– Brittney Grant
” What we achieve inwardly will change outer reality.” – Plutarch
“If you are persistent you will get it, if you are consistent you will keep it”.
“ The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.” – Winston Churchill
“Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.”
– Les Brown
“New Monday. New Week. New Goals.”
“If you meet people who make you happy during mondays, then it won’t be as hard.”
” Get shit Done.”
“The only way to do great work is to love what you do”. – Steve Jobs
“When one door is closed, don’t you know another is open”. – Bob Marley
” Find a job you like and you will add five days to every week.”
– H. Jackson Brown, Jr
“Relax, there’s only 4 more days left until Friday”
“If you work just for money, you’ll never make it, but if you love what you’re doing, success will be yours.” – Ray Kroc
“Continue to grow and evolve.” – Mahatma Gandhi
“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself.”
– Robert Frost
“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius
” Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.” – George S. Patton
” Either you run the day or the day runs you.
– Jim Rohn
Have you ever wondered what’s it like to manage a blog and work full-time? Well today I’m giving you a glimpse into my entire day, from the moment that my alarm goes off to the minute before I fall asleep. Balancing blogging and work along with my responsibilities at home can sometimes be challenging but I’ve somehow manage to make it all work.
Here is a peak into my daily routine, my life isn’t at all perfect but in the midst of a hectic, busy day I still come home Happy!
Thursday, March 8, 2016
It’s 6 am and my iphone alarm is ringing off the hook, all that comes to my mind is how great it would be to sleep for “Just 5 more minutes”. 10 minutes and 2 snoozes later I am finally ready to get out of bed. After a few long stretches I gently sit up reaching for my iphone. After reading a few emails and text messages, I head to the bathroom to brush my teeth.
Before starting breakfast I chug a bottle of water to boost my hydration and energy, this gives me just enough energy to make my bed and put away any left over clothes lingering from the night before.
It’s finally Breakfast-time, my favorite part of the day! I’m having a 2-part dish that includes a mini fruit platter along with the main course and warm lemon water while catching up on all my social media accounts.
Starting the day off in a relaxed and comforting mood is very important to me, having a healthy breakfast is key to getting the most out of every morning. I am usually at this point for up to an hour. (hence why I wake 3 hours in advance)
After my relaxing Breakfast sit-in, I am officially ready to start to start the day. Before heading into the shower I gather my things for the day; lunch prepared the night before along with my water bottle and iphone charger.
A quick 10-minute shower along with a 10-minute pampering/make-up session works well enough to get me through the door. I never leave the house without reading my Yogi Tea message of the day. Today’s message, “Life is a gift. Experience is the beauty“.
I’m heading out the door of my apartment, on my way to work. In efforts to make my day as productive as possible, I am reading over the blog post for the day, double checking for errors and image quality.
I arrive at the office. 10 minutes early means i get a head-start on my workload , replying to emails and starting a to-do list for the day.
3 hours in and I’m already counting down the hours, 5 more hours to go……
After posting the blog post for the day, I am ready for Lunch! Today I am having one of my favorite lunch dishes, homemade Zucchini Pasta with a side of garlic bread that I made from scratch. “YUM” lunch was great!
I am Double checking my to-do list ensuring that all my assignments/goals for the day were completed before leaving the office.
Wrapping up any projects that I’m currently working on; replying and sending out any last minute emails.
Heading to the train station, finally on my way home. “Free at last”!
A super crowded and long commute later I am finally Home! I am greeted by my sister who has prepared dinner. “Yes, I’m starvinggg“!
Dinner Time, my second favorite time of the day! I am enjoying a traditional Jamaican Stew Chicken with baked potatoes and vegetables as I listen to my siblings each discuss their day. Cliche I know, but eating dinner together as a family has been a tradition since I was a child, I cherish these moments everyday!
After cleaning the kitchen the sibs and I part ways each heading to our individual bedrooms. I’m catching up on social media once again while also scrambling through Netflix in search of a movie to watch later that night.
I’m heading to the shower and this time I’m taking my time. Nothing beats a warm shower after a long day!
Ah, finally back in bed, feeling relaxed and refreshed. I am jotting down any important milestones that I got through in my planner and get a head start on my to-do list for the next day.
I begin to watch the movie Serendipity on Netflix…….
In case you didn’t already guess, I only made it through an hour of the movie before falling asleep.
Thanks for spending the day with me!
FACEBOOK.COM/ BRITTNEY GRANT
- Watch the S U P E R B O W L !
- Are you sticking to your New Years Resolutions? (Check-in)
- Check off all goals you have accomplished so far!
- Ask a friend of a friend to hook you up with FASHION WEEK Tickets!
- Deck out your house with fresh flowers all around in shades of Red and Pink.
- Don’t forget to order flowers for Mom and Grandma for Valentine’s Day!
- Overdose on all your favorite Romantic Movies on Netflix
- Tour the Star Wars Exhibit at Discovery Times Square February 10 – 29.
- File your T A X E S, the sooner the better!
- Take advantage of the V-Day Sale at Victoria Secret.
- Make Chocolate Covered Strawberries!
- And Chocolate Covered Pretzels too.
- Celebrate an art-full Valentine’s Day with a private tour for two at the MOMA.
- Celebrate BLACK HISTORY MONTH by researching an African-American Leader/Activist you’ve haven’t already heard of it.
- Get FREE tickets to see the Central Park Ice Festival.
- Tell your Crush how you really feel!
- Make sure your eating a lot of Heart-Healthy Foods, after all it is HEART MONTH.
- Try a BUZZFEED Recipe.
- Decorate your Room with all PINK and RED everything.
- Get crafty, make a V-Day card from scratch.
- Join Cupid’s Undie Run to help raise money for The Children’s Tumor Foundation.
- Bake a heart-shaped Cake.
- Schedule a professional Dental Cleaning to make up for all the SWEETS you’ll be eating on Valentines Day.
- Start planning your Summer Vacation!
- Get CHOCOLATE WASTED! (Well, just this once)
- Make Valentine’s Day Gift Baskets for your friends and family.
- Buy a Valentine’s Day Outfit.
- Get kissably soft lips with FRESH’S Sugar Lip Delight at Sephora.
- Plan a romantic dinner for two with your significant other.
- No Valentine? No Problem, get tickets to see a charming, funny comedy show, The Rejection Show Valentine’s Day Heartbreak Haven in Brooklyn.
- Take a day off to just RELAX!
- Go crazy on all the PRESIDENTS DAY Sales from your favorite brands on February 15th.
- Perform a random act of kindness, February 17th is RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS DAY!
- See Chaka Khan perform in Brooklyn at Kings Theater.
- Get a head start on your Spring Shopping.
- It’s still Winter, don’t forget to keep your skin moisturized and protected!
- Try the Rainbow Bagel at The Bagel Shop in Brooklyn.
- Take your little sister/brother to see the BAMKids Film Festival.
- Go crazy on all the Presidents Day Sales from your favorite brands on February 15th.
- Spread LOVE it’s the Brooklyn way!
Here are a few of my favorite YOGI TEA TAG QUOTES to live by:
- “Be proud of who you are
- “Live light, travel light, spread the light, be the light”.
- “Appreciate yourself and honor your soul”.
- “Share your strengths and not your weakness”.
- “A relaxed mind is a creative mind”.
- “The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment”.
- “Let your heart guide you”.
- “I am Beautiful, I am Bountiful, I am Blissful”.
- “Live with reference for yourself and others”.
- “Mental Happiness is total Relaxation”.
- “Be Great, Feel Great, Act Great”.
- “Live in your Strength”.
- “Recognize that you are the truth”.
- ” Joy is the essence of success.
- “Happiness comes from Contentment”.
- ” First listen, then Learn, and then Practice”.
- “Speak the truth”.
- “Say it straight, simple and with a smile”.
- “Love is an elevated self”.
- “There’s nothing more precious than self love”.
- “You will always live happy if you live with your heart”.
- “Empty yourself and let the universe fill you”.
- “Let things come to you”.
- “If you have nothing else to give, give a smile”.
- ” An attitude of gratitude brings opportunities.
Why do we make these long list of goals every year filled with “objectives” we never achieve? Whether it’s a personal or professional goal most of us abandon our goals or “new years resolutions” before coming remotely close to accomplishing them. The response is usually, “I’ll do it later”, “I have a lot on my plate right now”, or “it’s harder than I thought”, but maybe the goals we are setting are just not realistic, or measurable, or SMART or time-driven.
Most people tend to focus their goals in common areas, like losing weight or eliminating financial debt, two areas many will argue are the most difficult and time consuming. But goals are really “objectives” towards which effort is directed, so naturally some will be hard while others will be easy; you just need to have the mindset to get there.
HERE ARE 7 GOALS EVERYONE SHOULD
HAVE ACCOMPLISH FOR 2016:
Another year means another chance at eating better! Eat better not only because it’s the latest trend among popular social media sites but simply because your life depends on it! As the years age, so does out bodies which means we need to work twice as hard to keep them healthy. You don’t need to become a vegan or a vegetarian, eating better can be as simple as incorporating more fruits, veggies and whole grain into your diet daily.
Keep calm and save your money! Wether your planning your dream wedding, buying your first car or making a down payment on a new apartment, saving money is a great first step towards making your dreams and goals a reality. An amount as small as $10 a week is a step in the right direction.
TAKE A TRIP.
Take advantage of your vacation days and take a trip! Yes, you have a lot on your plate right now and would like to move up in the company this year but your mind and body deserves a break. Besides, the number one rule of all successful people is to have a healthy work/life balance. You mind and body will Thank You, as you will return to work even more productive and relaxed than before.
Treat yourself to something nice, wether it’s a trip to the spa or a splurge on a luxury item, give yourself something that will make you happy!
TAKE TIME OFF.
Take time off from work you deserve it! Wether it’s a day or a weekend, time away from work emails, conference calls, meetings and social media is good for your physical and mental health.
Shorts, bathing suits and sandals, summer will be here again before we know it; time to get our bodies ready! No, I’m not saying you need to loose those 20 pounds you have on your list of goals every year that it just some how out of reach, I’m saying that we need to get in shape. Prepare our bodies for those for those long spring/summer runs in the park, bike rides through the city, outdoor swimming lessons and other warm weather friendly activities we have planned for this year. A simple 15-minute a day workout routine is good enough.
If your already in a relationship and in love, congratulations you made it to another year. But for all my fellow singles out there, we need to get serious about our #RelationshipGoals for 2016. I know life as a single person has many benefits, including building a healthy relationship with yourself but a loving relationship can enhance many aspects of your life as well, from your emotional and mental well-being to your physical health and overall happiness. Be more open minded and be willing to take risks!
Coloring has always been viewed as an extra-curricular activity for children but recently, coloring books for adults has become the latest trend. As opposed to some fads, this trend is remarkably beneficial, generating relaxation and wellness properties as well as helping to relieve stress and anxiety.
People around the world are enjoying this simple form of Art Therapy. Although it may not be able to cure any disease or illness, coloring can make living with it a lot easier. In addition to releasing your inner creative genius, coloring can also help you channel your feelings, evoking happy memories and positive thoughts.
By focusing on this simple task, I am able to enjoy complete creative freedom allowing my body and mind to relax. Popular Coloring Books brands for adults include, The Mindfulness Coloring Book by Emma Farrarons, Secret Garden Coloring Book by The Mandala Coloring Book by Jim Gogarty which are all great choices! In addition to including the most AMAZING illustrations, adult-friendly mazes and activities, these books are all set at affordable price points and can be purchased at some of your favorite book stores like Barnes and Nobles and Target.
The coloring book I am currently using is Natural Wonders Coloring Art For Everyone, his collection of intricate line drawings engages my adult brain and allows me to play with colors and shapes; an activity that is just fundamentally fun. My favorite time to color is on Sundays, after I’ve completed my weekly spa/beauty routine, this helps to clear my mind bringing positive thoughts for the week ahead.
TIPS FOR COLORING
- Find a comfortable quiet space
- Play your favorite station on Pandora while you color.
- Stock up on color pencils, crayons and markers
- Color as often as you like
Pictures from my Book……..
Aside from being my personal favorites, these products are great gift ideas for your Sister, BFF, Co-Worker, Cousin, daughter or whoever “She” is. Make this year’s gift giving memorable and GIFT HER something valuable this holiday season.
- FACE/BODY BRUSH SET, $100, available at VITAGOODS.COM
GIFT HER the VITA GOODS Perfect Skin Plus Set so she can keep her skin clear and smooth throughout the year.
2. FACIAL TRAVEL KIT, $165, available at SAKSFIFTHAVENUE.COM
GIFT HER the TAMMY FENDER Oily & Acne-Prone Skincare Travel Kit so she can naturally keep her skin healthy, moisturized and youthful throughout the frigid winter months.
3. COSMETIC TRAVEL BAG, $19.50, available at MADEWELL.COM
GIFT HER the MADEWELL Crystalline Travel Bag to make traveling with toiletries and cosmetics cute and easy.
4. READING BOOK, $16, available at NASTYGAL.COM
GIFT HER the book #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso so she can begin her path to success and become a future #GirlBoss!
5. WATER BOTTLE, $35, available at SWELLBOTTLE.COM
GIFT HER the SWELL Water Bottle so she can drink lots of water and hydrate in style.
6. PLANNER, $24.99, available at MEANDMYBIGIDEAS.COM
GIFT HER the CREATE 365™ “MY LIFE” planner so she can creatively keep her life and her plans organized and in order.
After weeks of searching for a new planner, I’ve finally found the right one! The Create 365 The Happy Planner “My Life” 18-month planner is definitely an upgrade from my usual target planners, let’s just say that it’s the best planner I’ve ever used! Superior in quality, functionality, compactness, and the undeniable “cuteness factor”, the Create 365 “My Life planner was worth the retail price of $24.99.
My favorite part about this planner is that you are truly able to personalize it to fit your needs; the perfect combination of my love for creativity and organization. The planner is dated from July 2015 – December 2016 and is filled with fun creative and inspirational artwork to help keep your life in order in efforts of making you a “Happy Planner”!
Covers – 7.75” x 9.75”
Pages – 7” x 9.25”
- 18 months of planning
- Removable pages
- Interchangeable Covers
- Unique gold heart-shaped binder rings
- Laminated tabs for each month
- Ability to add pages and inserts
- Monthly, weekly and daily planning
- Inspirational quotes
- Note page
- Custom designs specially for “My Life” planner
- Monthly Dividers
- Monthly Noteworthy pages
Take a look inside!
Here’s a pic of a D.I.Y folder I created to fit my CREATE 365™ THE HAPPY PLANNER™
Here’s a pic of a D.I.Y dashboard I created to house my planner paper goods
Inspirational Quotes Page
Quote with Tabs Pages
Monthly Layout Pages
Weekly Layout Pages
Get the CREATE 365™ THE HAPPY PLANNER™ for less!
Decorate your CREATE 365™ THE HAPPY PLANNER™ with these cool agenda sticker!
1. Prepare your Lunch.
Shave minutes off of your morning routine by preparing your Lunch for school or work overnight. Preparing your Lunch the night before school or work insures that your mornings are as simple and effortless as possible, with your only task being “grab and go”. In addition to being a healthier more nutritious option, packing a lunch for work or school is a smart way to save money and cut cost.
2. Take a Warm Shower.
Nothing relieves the stress of a long day like a warm relaxing bath or shower. All it takes is just a few minutes and a warm bath or shower will sooth, calm and relax your body. Not only will you sleep better but your body will endure a much needed state of freedom as it relieves the tension and stress of a long days work. For the ultimate relaxing bath or shower, try adding in a bubble bath along with a few scented candles and soothing music, these elements are sure to take your night to the next level!
3. Pick out your Clothes.
You probably haven’t done this since you were in middle school but you will be surprised at how much faster it takes you to get ready in the morning when you pick out your clothes overnight. Having your clothes laid out and ironed the night before school or work will make your mornings a breeze!
4. Plan the next Day.
Nothing brings productivity to a day like planning it out the night before. Whether it’s jotting down a list of goals you need to accomplish or making a simple to-do list, planning for the next day helps you to keep track of everything you need to get done in an organized and free flowing manner.
It’s always right before we go to sleep when our minds are weighing heavily with worries, tensions, emotions and next day duties that often times prevents us from falling asleep. So what’s the solution to this small but relatively common problem that constantly keeps us from having the best sleep ever? By simply blocking the negative things out and filling your mind with all the positive highlights of the day. Try taking a few minutes before bed to practice meditation, yoga or deep breathing these exercises will put your mind and body at ease, helping to insure that you get best sleep ever!
6. Drink a glass of Water.
Drinking water has many benefits, whether it’s improving your overall health or keeping you hydrated, water contains valuable nutrients that your body needs in order to function properly. In addition to helping to clear up acne drinking a glass of water before bed helps with food digestion and maintaing a healthy weight. It also helps your body replenish the fluids it looses throughout the day while riding the body of any unwanted toxins. Drinking a glass of water before bed will help you feel better and look better!
7. Set your Alarm.
OK, lets admit it, NO ONE likes waking up to the annoying sound of an alarm at 6AM every morning, BUT it’s even more annoying when you forget to set your alarm the night before and wake up 10 minutes before you have leave out, scrambling around to get yourself and your things together. Setting your alarm the night before makes certain that your morning routine is followed through smoothly and more importantly, it acts as a safeguard for you to arrive to work or school on time.
8. Say I Love You.
Telling your love ones you love them before going to bed every night is probably one of the most important things you can do. Whether it’s to a spouse, a parent, sibling or child, saying I love you can strengthen the bond you have with someone in any relationship.
9. Charge your phone.
Don’t you hate it when your on the train and everyone around you is occupied with their phones and your just standing there staring into space because your phone is dead and you can’t use it? Yea, I hate it too. Charging your phone every night before bed insures that your morning commute is entertaining and “wired stranger encounter- free”. It also gives you the opportunity to get a head-start on your workload, allowing you to check in on emails and review your morning to-do list.
10. Go to bed Early.
When it comes to a good night’s rest every minute counts, by going to bed early at night you will be able to assure that you are fully rested and ready to jump start the next day. In addition to fueling your body with energy, going to bed early and getting 8 hours of sleep helps to increase your productivity and cognition; You will start the day with a great attitude, focused and ready to take care of business. Going to bed early also helps to improve your look, preventing under eye bags, dark circles and pale complexion. You will start you day looking fresh!
This Labor Weekend was extremely busy for me but it was also very productive as I was able to accomplish most of the things on my weekend to-do list.
WHAT I DID
WEEKLY BEAUTY DETOX
WHAT I ATE
BREAKFAST – Saturday Morning.
LUNCH – Sunday Evening.
DINNER – Monday Night.
WHAT I WORE
OUTFIT OF THE DAY – Saturday.
OUTFIT OF THE DAY – Sunday.
OUTFIT OF THE DAY – Monday.
PLACES I VISITED
I am currently in the process of re-decorating my room, in addition to changing the paint color to a pale gray , I also want to add some soft minimal decorative elements including adding more throw pillows, display shelving and accessories. Eager to get things moving I visited several stores in my attempts to find the perfect neutral throw pillows.
First stop, HOME GOODS.
As usual HomeGoods never disappoints and had some amazing throw pillows. I was lucky enough to find two throw pillows that were of the exact color scheme and texture I was looking for at a pretty affordable price.
Next stop, TARGET.
Target also had some great pillows, although the options were not as broad as the throw pillows in HomeGoods, I was able to find two pillows that were of the exact color scheme and texture I wanted at a pretty affordable price.
And….Thats’s a wrap! Hope everyone had an amazing Labor Day Weekend!
1. Something ADVENTUROUS…
Take an unforgettable canoe trip down a toxic channel at the Gowanus Canal.
2. Something ROMANTIC…
Go for a romantic walk on the board with #Bae at Brooklyn Bridge Park.
3. Something PHYSICAL…
Have fun while getting fit with the ultimate in-door cycling class at Soul Cycle.
4. Something APPETIZING…
Enjoy an intimate dinner with friends at Piccoli Trattoria, and experience some of the best tasting, authentic Italian food in Brooklyn!
5. Something ENTERTAINING…
Book a ticket to see a live performance at the newly renovated Kings Theatre.
6. Something CHALLENGING…
Challenge your limit with a one of a kind indoor climbing experience at Brooklyn Boulders.
7. Something EDUCATIONAL…
What’s the last book you’ve read??…Borrow a book from the Brooklyn Public Library in completely different genre than your use and let your imagination take wind.
8. Something HEALTH CONSCIOUS…
Get healthy this summer and stack up on locally grown fresh fruits and veggies at the Grand Amy Plaza Greenmarket.
9. Something FASHIONABLE…
Shop for a vintage Fall wardrobe piece at the Brooklyn Flea Market.
10. Something FUN…
Shake, Rattle, Rumble and Roll on a New York City Landmark and ride the Coney Island Cyclone.
11. Something ENDURING…
Jam to favorite station on Pandora while enjoying a long bike ride in Prospect Park alone.
12. Something KID FRIENDLY…
Release your inner artist at the Painted Pot, a warm kid-friendly paint your own pottery studio.
13. Something FAMILY FRIENDLY…
Explore the beauty in nature at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and get a first hand look at the most exotic species, subspecies, varieties, hybrids and cultivars growing in Brooklyn.
14. Something OUTDOORSY…
Enjoy a day of Roller skating, Water play and Boating at the Le Frank Center, Prospect Park.
15. Something SPONTANEOUS…
Single and ready to mingle? Get out there and meet local singles at one of the many NY Minute Dating speed dating events.
16. Something COMFORTING…
Put away your laptops and smartphones and allow yourself to escape in the comforts of the Manhattan Beach.
17. Something ANIMAL RELATED…
Explore Brooklyn’s Wild Life at the Prospect Park Zoo.
18. Something CREATIVE…
Check out popular exhibit “The Rise of Sneaker Culture” at the Brooklyn Museum.
19. Something FEARLESS…
Face your fear of heights as you walk across a national historic landmark, on the Brooklyn Bridge.
20. Something TRENDY…
Become the life of the party at one of New York’s hottest night clubs, OUTPUT.
21. Something RELAXING…
Give your body a full day of relaxation and rejuvenation at the Sage Spa.
22. Something HISTORICAL…
Tour NYC’s oldest house and first official landmark at the Wyckoff Farmhouse Museum.
23. Something UNDERGROUND…
Explore old New York and experience the history of an 100-year-old transportation system at the New York Transit Museum.
24. Something UNDERWATER…
Dance with the seals, feed the penguins and sea otters in the ultimate underwater wildlife experience at the New York Aquarium.
In addition to bringing order to your week, having a routine helps to simplify your work day and personal life, allowing you to effectively manage your time. It helps to ensure on-time completion of important projects while giving you the opportunity to indulge in responsible leisurely activities.
Having a weekly routine allows me to take control of my week and time. I am able to enjoy time out with my friends, fulfill any home/personal duties that may arise, complete all or most of my work related projects and still have down time for myself. A routine helps to keep my everyday life balanced, giving each week a more ordered, less chaotic and stress-free feeling.
Here’s how I do it……
I’m a morning person and usually like to start my day really early. On a normal weekday I will wake up 2 hours before leaving for work and:
- Make my Bed
- Shower/Get ready
- Eat Breakfast
- Make a To-Do List
- Pack my Lunch for Work
By the time I get out of work I am usually pretty tired and if I don’t have anything planned I like to come straight home and:
- Make Dinner/Hang with the Sibs
- Make notes in my Planner for the next day
- Edit Blog Post for the next day
- Watch a movie/television show until I fall asleep
I LOVE the weekends and usually use this time to enjoy lots of leisurely activities. My weekends regularly consist of sleeping in late, big breakfast dishes and tons of relaxing.
FRIDAY – I usually don’t cook on Fridays, always to eat out.
SATURDAY – On Saturdays I usually do all of my Grocery/Framer’s Market Shopping along with laundry and any house cleaning projects. My Saturdays nights are generally used for leisurely activities.
SUNDAY – Sundays are my Beauty/Detox days and I normally use this time to do my weekly face/body exfoliation, Manicure and Pedicure, Hair Rejuvenation, etc.
Every month, once a week, usually when the month is ending, I go VEGAN! This just helps my body to naturally cleanse and clear out any toxins or bad food I may have consumed throughout the week.
A few helpful tips for you!
1. DAILY TO-DO LIST
Make a daily to-do list this way you can keep track of all the important things you need to complete before the day is over; This may can include both work and personal tasks.
2. BUY A PLANNER
Invest in a planner this way you can keep a record of important dates and events. In addition to being the perfect place to record all the dates and payments of your current bills, a planner helps to keep track of that yearly physical you are supposed to book or that career enhancing networking event your best friend asked you to attend next month.
3. WEEKLY LIST
Every Friday make a weekend to-do list, this way you can keep track of everything you need to get done on the weekend like your laundry, house cleaning projects, workouts, errands etc.
Indulging in leisurely activities can be very therapeutic, fun and healthy for us all, especially after a long work week. As long as hanging out with the girls does not interfere with that big project you need to get done for work or that important errand your dad asked you to take care of, your all good!
5. STICK TO IT
Starting a routine is hard but sticking to a routine is even harder, but hang in there, once you’ve establish your routine and your comfortable doing it, it will become normal.
- I enjoy spending time alone.
- I hate desserts and don’t eat chocolate, ice cream, cupcakes, pies or most other dessert dishes. (I know, wired right, that’s what everyone says)
- I am a perfectionist.
- I have a HUGE fear of enclosed spaces, as they make me feel trapped. (Elevators, Airplanes, The Subway Station, Small Rooms)
- I had a near fatal experience when I was 10 years old.
- I can recite all the words and lyrics to Sister Act 2.
- I’m a huge GERMAPHOBE and can’t leave the house without my hand sanitizer.
- I’m the middle child and often experience “Middle Child Syndrome”. (At least according to my older sister)
- I didn’t go to my High School or Junior High School Prom.
- I had really bad allergies throughout majority of my life.
- My initials spell the word BEG.
- I’ve NEVER had a bad hair day, like ever!
- My first “real” relationship was at 19.
- I’ve never been on an airplane in my adult years.
- I LOVE cooking and trying new recipes.
- I ALWAYS forget to close things back up, and it usually results in countless spills.
- I over think EVERYTHING.
- I get really shy when a lot of people are around.
- All of my siblings names begins with the letters B or K.
- I’ve NEVER been on a Roller Coaster and not planing too anytime soon.
Our outfit and hair reveals a lot about us but nothing says more about a woman than her choice of fragrance. Weather you’re the fresh floral scented gal or the strong musk scented gal, your perfume says a lot about you.
Scents are extremely powerful and have the ability to instantly evoke memory and trigger emotion. A particular scent or fragrance has the power to transit you in time to a special moment, evoking specific images and emotions associated with that distinct time. Just one spray of perfume can boost your confidence, elevate your mood, increase attraction and enhance your smell throughout the day.
As Christian Dior once said, “A woman’s perfume tells more about her than her handwriting”. So if you’re the gal that loves citrus scented fragrances, chances are, you’re a very health conscious, morning person who enjoys early morning yoga and fruit smoothies. You usually opt for all natural products and your primary concern is your health and staying organized. So what does your favorite perfume says about you?
Here are 5 of my favorite scents……
- My Everyday Scent – AVON FEMME EAU DE PARFUM SPRAY
Avon – Femme is the perfect everyday scent. This delicate fresh floral scent is mild and pleasant and exudes femininity.
2. My Scent For Work – GUESS DARE EAU DE TOILETTE
Guess – Dare is the perfect scent for the office. This sophisticated bold scent is strong but not to harsh and will last throughout the work day. Your co-workers will instantly know when you’ve entered the office.
3. My Scent for Date-night – LANCÔME PEUT-ÊTRE
Lancôme – Peut Être is the perfect scent for date night. This sensual, feminine, sweet scent is sure to impress, intrigue and attract your date throughout the night.
4. My Scent for Special Occasions – LANCÔME MILLE & UNE ROSES
Lancôme Mille & Une Roses is the perfect scent for a special occasion. It’s strong, elegant musk like scent is sure to make an impact, impressing all the guest and will last throughout the night.
5. My On-the-go Scent – L’OCCITANE CERISIER ROUGE EAU INTENSE
L’occitane Cerisier Rouge Eau Intense is the perfect on-the-go scent. This natural moderately sweet, fruity scent is perfect for short trips and running errands.
Although I am not an avid perfume buyer, due to my sensitive skin and allergies, I do like to indulge every now and then. The key to using perfume for people with sensitive skin like myself, is to never spray the perfume directly unto your skin.
*DISCLAIMER: This is not a sponsored blog post. These are my honest opinions and reviews.
Mornings without breakfast make it difficult for your body to make up for nutritional shortages later in the day. Apart from providing us with energy, eating a “healthy” breakfast daily equips the body with important nutrients such as calcium, iron, protein, potassium and fiber. So when you arrive at school or work in a bad mood, tired, low-energy, or with a headache, you are not sick but rather lacking the nutrients in your diet that a daily “healthy” breakfast can provide.
Nutritionist advise that breakfast should be eaten within two hours of waking, helping to ensure that you stay full in the morning and remain on track with a healthy eating plan throughout the day. A simple bowl of your favorite healthy cereal or a slice of whole wheat bread with peanut butter is just enough to start the day off right.
I bet I know what your next excuse will be, “I don’t have time to make breakfast in the morning”, well you better make time, because your entire day depends on it. If that means waking up 20 minutes earlier to ensure your body functions actively throughout the day, so be it!
Benefits of Eating a healthy Breakfast Daily
1. Great source of important nutrients including calcium, iron, vitamin B, protein and fiber.
2. Increase energy level throughout the day.
3. Increase cognitive function throughout the day.
4. Helps you to make better food choices throughout the day.
5. Reduces morning crankiness.
6. Boost metabolism.
7. Keeps you from overeating throughout the day.
8. Helps create faster bowel movement.
9. Helps to maintain a healthy weight.
10.Helps promote a good mood.
Side Effects of Skipping Breakfast
1. Lack of concentration
2. Low energy level
5. Overeating throughout the rest of the day.
Start every morning with a healthy breakfast, a small gesture that can make a big difference!